Review: Indica India Pale Ale (Lost Coast Brewing)

Review: Indica India Pale Ale (Lost Coast Brewing) by Cody La Bière
Well, for some reason, my iPhone decided to be a jerky a-hole and deleted my review completely, that's not the first for yours truly, but it's getting old, FAST.

Today I try Lost Coast's Indica IPA, any beer that shares the same name as my favourite record label is likely going to be a good one!

Lost Coast's beers have been available in Manitoba for 3 to 4 years now and frankly, I've only seen two people other than myself ever buy them before, it doesn't sell well here at all, so to see a new beer available by this brewery was a surprise as I would have thought the MLCC would have stopped ordering from them if there was little demand. That being said, Lost Coast's beers are very much QUITE TASTY!

The Indica IPA comes in a 650mL bomber-style bottle, has an ABV of 6.5%, the usual for most IPAs in this day and age and costs just under $6 before taxes - so $6 and deposit and taxes is quite a bit just for an India Pale Ale, but hey, I haven't tried it so why not give it a try?

Appearance: Pours a very hazy orange-honey colour, one of the more orangey beers I've seen that wasn't a mass produced witbier (Rickard's White). Nice yet minimal amount of off-white head just gracefully sitting atop the beer.

Aroma: Just your standard IPA here, a nice hoppy bitterness to it, with a bit of a caramel malt sweetness that is in fact, quite a bit similar to some DIPAs I've had, including Half Pints' Humulus Ludicrous.

Taste: Coming off of memory, this beer is more of a bitter IPA than sweet or citrus. They always say an IPA is best drank fresh - so when I tell beer snobs I have a DIPA in my fridge, they shit a tonne of bricks, as if I just told them the worst news of their life. The taste is a bitter hop with an alfalfa presence to it. There's a BIT of sweetness, but nowhere near as sweet as most IPAs out there, it's a bit of a slightly caramel sweetness, but minimal at best. There's a bitter aftertaste that lingers on your palate for a while, but that's standard for most India Pale Ales.

Overall Thoughts: A bit pricey at over $6 when considering taxes and deposit, but it's a decent IPA, especially if you're like me and can appreciate a very hoppy and bitter IPA, if you are looking for a sweeter, or more citrusy IPA, Half Pints' Little Scrapper or one of a kajillion of the Ontario IPAs out there will do that job for you. Sitting out on the deck with 25C heat and a slight breeze, this really cooled me off, quickly. Will I buy this again? Possibly, but there's at least half a dozen other IPAs out there I'd drink before I get back to this.

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

We just tried this last night! I'd drink it again, but there are definitely others out there that I'd pick up first.